By SeafoodSource staff
Published on 21 April, 2013
Maruha Nichiro Seafoods recently announced the company had purchased a controlling interest in Seafood Connection Holding of the Netherlands.
The company announced transfer of 52.5 percent of its shares to Maruha Nichiro, with the other 47.5 percent of the company remaining in the hands of CEO and co-founder Jan Kaptijn, with an expected closing by the end of June 2013.
Both companies, in a joint statement, described it more like a merger than an acquisition, with the move allowing each company to take advantage of the other’s existing sales and sourcing networks already in place in Europe.
“Actually, it’s quite simple. If we want to grow we need people, products and capital,” Kaptijn said. “With Maruha Nichiro we have found the right partner to achieve these goals and expand our business. The market for fish imports into Europe is still growing so the demand is already there.”