UK’s top fish-and-chip shops named
By SeafoodSource staff
25 September, 2012
Ten of the United Kingdom’s best fish-and-chip shops have made the finals of Seafish’s National Fish & Chip Awards 2013.
The shops will now compete against each other for the coveted title of Independent Takeaway Fish and Chip Shop of the year, which will be announced at an awards ceremony held in London on 24 January.
Before the final at the start of November, all 10 regional finalists will go on a study trip to Norway, where they will learn about the seafood supply chain from Norway to the United Kingdom.
The regional finalists are:
- The Bay Fish & Chips, Stonehaven – best in Scotland
- The Crispy Cod, Tonyrefail – best in Wales
- Pit-Stop Fast Food, Kilkeel – best in Northern Ireland
- Quayside, Whitby – best in North East England
- Richardson’s Fish Bar, Fleetwood – best in North West England
- Simpsons Fish & Chips, Cheltenham – best in the Midlands
- Burton Road Fish & Chips, Lincoln – best in Eastern England
- Henley’s of Wivenhoe, Wivenhoe – best in London & South East England
- The Wigmore Fish & Chips, Luton – best in Central & South England
- Hanbury’s, Torquay – best in South West England
The final 10 places were earned after unannounced visits from industry judges.
Shops were assessed on a broad variety of judging criteria, including product quality, customer service, food preparation procedures, hygiene, innovation, staff training and development, promotional activity and approaches to sustainable sourcing.
Last year’s Independent Takeaway Fish and Chip Shop of the Year 2012 title-holder Alistair Horabin, owner of Seniors in Lancashire, believes the fish-and-chip champion status is helping to grow his business. There are four shops in the Seniors chain.
“Seniors had been aiming for the top title for the past 10 years, having been a top 10 finalist in 2006 and taking third place in 2011 — we were determined to win. We are obsessed with quality and believe in providing excellent customer service. We put all our efforts into our campaign to win the UK title,” said Horabin. “As a result of our win in 2012, we have opened new shops and experienced a solid sales increase. The experience has bolstered our image in the industry. We wish the finalists well for 2013 and from experience; we can say that being a part of the awards process really does improve your business.”
25 September, 2012