Seafood Buyer - Alabama Gulf Coast
Come for the job; stay for the quality of life.
Enjoy living near the Alabama gulf coast. Live oak covered shore lines of the back bays; shrimp boats coming into the harbor; and emerald waters and white sands of the gulf. Enjoy the outdoor life in the comfort of southern hospitality.
Gateway Sourcing, a recruiting agency, is assisting this well-established seafood company to identify a Buyer for their wholesale and retail operations. This company is well respected throughout the southeastern United States within the culinary industry for their heavy focus on quality and service. This is a wonderful work environment with a team of whom many spend their entire careers.
This position is responsible for sourcing the best quality seafood from around the world, at competitive price points, and maintaining the company’s inventory position daily.
- Buyer will coordinate with sales manager on product availability, forecasting needs, reviewing, and analyzing costs, and using market trends to generate maximum revenue and profits.
- Work with management to ensure appropriate product mix and manage the purchasing process within set targets on product turnover, sales dollars, and gross margin analysis.
- Daily purchases of specific product lines to maintain appropriate stock levels of inventory with top quality products thru best-in-class buying procedures.
- Utilize organized buying practices to facilitate maximum buying efficiency. Create purchase orders, monitor their progress, and maintain accurate purchasing records.
- Act as liaison with suppliers about specific product and shipment issues. Possess an ability to quickly identify and resolve any purchasing issues. Work with sales to facilitate resolution of any customer product issues.
- Ensure quality control is being deployed on specified orders to verify product quality, and to process returns to identify any product quality issues.
- Develop sales representative’s product knowledge through training and product demonstrations. Communicate product additions or deletions, and any changes in product to all staff members. Execute an established strategy for the introduction of new products.
- Ensure proper item numbers and prices are provided. Provide a weekly update to sales of all items and updated prices, notated with market information.
- Follow through on purchasing process by working with warehouse team on receiving, storing, stocking and rotating product, and handling spoilage.
- Work with warehouse team and inventory management to verify inventory and resolve discrepancies. Make decisions with inventory management as needed to move product from outside warehouses to shipping warehouse to ensure products available for shipment.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent. College degree desired.
- Experience: 5+ years of retail or foodservice buying experience, preferably with seafood, or with other proteins.
- Work Ethic: Excellent problem solving and organizational skills. A demonstrated sense of urgency in meeting critical and time sensitive deadlines.
- Communication: Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Able to transfer attention from one task to another without affecting performance. Able to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
LOCATION: Alabama (southern Baldwin County) – Serene waterfront location. May be a hybrid remote opportunity (at least 2 days a week in the office) Relocation assistance may be available.
COMPENSATION: This is a permanent position and compensation will be commensurate with experience. This company also offers Blue Cross Health and Dental Insurance (50% of individual Health and Dental premiums paid by company); S125 Cafeteria Plan, with FSA; Paid Time Off; Paid Holidays; 401(k) Retirement Plan
If you are qualified and interested, please click below to submit your resume and letter of interest: