Sustainable Fisheries Director - Waitt Institute
Location: San Diego, CA
Hours: Full time (with some nights and weekends)
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Care about the environment and want to make a difference? You will be joining a team of international experts working around the globe to protect the world’s oceans. The Waitt Institute is working with 10+ national and territorial governments to create sustainable ocean plans to help improve local livelihoods and economies while safeguarding marine life and ecosystems.
The Waitt Institute is hiring a director who is looking to foster sustainable fisheries that support livelihoods, improve economies, and ensure long-term ocean health. This position will work directly with partner governments, the private sector, NGOs, and academia to conduct analyses, develop fisheries strategies, and support improved fisheries management plans as relevant to a given country. Like to travel? This position will involve significant international travel when regular travel resumes (~30%).
As a global team, the Waitt Institute is committed to being diverse, culturally competent, and inclusive, and we recognize that these core values enable our success. We seek to employ talented advocates for the ocean and coastal communities, and we welcome all applicants.
- Lead Waitt Institute’s sustainable fisheries portfolio
- Work with team of internal and external partners to develop and implement sustainable fisheries strategies at program sites in partnership with government and key stakeholders
- Ensure sustainable fisheries work integrates with marine spatial planning and blue economy portfolios
- 7+ years fisheries-related experience (10+ preferred) with demonstrated expertise working with fishing communities, developing market-based solutions for sustainable fisheries, designing fisheries management systems or related
- Experience in facilitation, gaining buy-in and building consensus with governments and private sector institutions in developing or emerging economies
- Reliable, responsive, comfortable working across time zones
- Master’s degree or equivalent in fisheries science, economics, natural resources management, or related field, PhD preferred
- Ability to inspire, trust, lead and facilitate with strong interpersonal skills and move from ideas to outcomes
- Ability to engage effectively with a range of stakeholders including scientists, Government, NGOs and general public
- A superb professional and pragmatic personal presence
- A natural leader and creative problem solver
Unlimited Paid Time Off | Excellent Medical, Dental, Vision options | Health Savings Account | 401(k) match up to 6%
Applicants should apply through our website (https://www.waittinstitute.org/sustainable-fisheries-director) and should reach out to [email protected]tinstitute.org with any job-related questions.