Foodservice & Retail
A man on Monday filed a lawsuit against Shaw's Crab House in Chicago for serving him salmon in 2006 that allegedly caused him to fall violently ill for several days. Citing a pathologist's report, the diner claims he got a 9-foot tapeworm from "undercooked fish, such as salmon."
Anthony Franz seeks $100,000 from Shaw's and its parent company, Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises (LEYE), for pain, suffering, lost time from work and "lost… Read More
A San Francisco-based private equity firm yesterday acquired a majority interest in Romano's Macaroni Grill from Brinker International for $131.5 million in cash.
Mac Acquisition LLC, an affiliate of Golden Gate Capital, purchased an 80.1 percent interest in the casual Italian chain, with Brinker retaining the remaining 19.9 percent. The deal is expected to close by year's end.
With more than 220 restaurants worldwide, Macaroni Grill menus… Read More
Wild Planet Foods will expand its sustainable canned seafood line to mainstream supermarkets after receiving funding earlier this week from sustainable private equity firm Sea Change Investment Fund of San Francisco.
Wild Planet, supplied by Carvalho Fisheries, distributes canned, troll-caught albacore tuna, sockeye salmon, wild king salmon and wild shrimp to Whole Foods Market and The Real Food Co. stores. The suggested retail price for a… Read More
Sustainable seafood was featured in last week's edition of Zagat Buzz, the online newsletter from Zagat.
According to a consumer poll conducted by Zagat.com, 54 percent of respondents try to order sustainable seafood but can't always keep track of what they are supposed to order. The article provides consumers with ways to find the right fish with technology, aquarium outreach programs and a focus on local products.
The article also… Read More
Shells Seafood Restaurant's second-quarter revenues decreased 22 percent to $9 million compared to the same period last year, the Tampa, Fla., chain reported yesterday.
Comparable restaurant sales decreased 18 percent compared to the second quarter of 2007 for the 22-restaurant company.
Revenues decreased 21.1 percent to $19.6 million for the first 26 weeks of this year compared to 2007. Comparable restaurant sales decreased 16.8 percent… Read More
Landry's Restaurants, of Houston, Texas, announced its second quarter income totaled $14 million, up from $9.2 million last year. Revenues from continuing operations reached $311.4 million, up more than $3 million from 2007.
"Results for the second quarter were encouraging given the difficult economic circumstances," says Rick Liem, Landry's executive VP and CFO. "Both our restaurant hospitality group and our Golden Nugget properties… Read More
Red Lobster is calling its first-ever promotion on the Food Network "very successful."
Red Lobster Senior Executive Chef Michael LaDuke appeared as a guest judge of the fourth season of the Food Network reality show "The Next Food Network Star" and helped select the winner of a fresh fish challenge on the fourth episode.
Kelsey Nixon's Macadamia Crusted Tilapia with White Chocolate Beurre Blanc won the episode's competition, and her dish… Read More
Seafood restaurant chain Bonefish Grill today launched a TV series "Notes from the Road" featuring performances from musicians who are on tour in the United States, including Jason Mraz, 3 Doors Down and Gavin DeGraw.
The series appears on Ovation TV, which is distributed on cable and satellite networks, and provides a behind-the-scenes view of life on the road for musicians. Each hour-long episode is shot on location at a Bonefish… Read More
Rockfish Seafood Grill has been acquired by three Texas-based private equity firms and individual investor Henry Leonard, the Richardson, Texas-based casual seafood chain unveiled today. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Founded by Randy DeWitt in Plano, Texas, in 1998, Rockfish operates 14 restaurants in the Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Austin and Lubbock, Texas, areas and in Durham, N.C. Brinker International, the Dallas-based… Read More
Kona Blue Water Farms of Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, yesterday announced the winners of its Kona Kampachi Chef Recipe Contest.
Chef de Cuisine at Miro Restaurant in Santa Barbara, Calif., David Garwacki's basque-spiced Kona Kampachi with cucumber, heirloom tomato gazpacho and micro-cuke blossoms won the grand prize of a trip for two to Hawaii.
A recipe for prosciutto-wrapped Kona Kampachi with grilled corn risotto and roasted pepper gazpacho won… Read More