Senior Fisheries Technical Officer
12 months Fixed Term Contract
Reporting to the Fisheries Manager, the Senior Fisheries Project Officer will take responsibility in ensuring that the assessment of client fisheries against the MSC Sustainable Fishing Scheme, the Responsible Fishing Vessel Standard (RFVS) and the Marin Trust (and any related schemes as required) is fully compliant with all technical requirements of the current versions of the appropriate standards and certification processes. The post holder will ensure good communication with all scheme owners, related stakeholders and clients.
The post holder will coordinate MSC assessment and surveillance work for clients across the world and will work to ensure Lloyd’s Register reputation is upheld as the leading MSC certification provider globally. The post holder will ensure that the company is prepared for annual accreditation audits alongside accreditation colleagues.
- Gaining an accurate understanding of the relevant scheme standards and certification options
- Maintaining a good level of knowledge of international fisheries and impact on MSC standard, RFVS standard and Marin Trust standard
- Technical input and reviews of MSC assessment reports wherever necessary
- Assisting the Fisheries Manager in ensuring that contractors/team members contracted to carry out fishery assessment duties are competent to carry out the functions they are contracted to perform
- Maintaining contact with technical experts and auditors and organise audits and support with technical meetings, such as harmonisation, etc
- Assisting in maintaining all necessary standard operating procedures, guidance documents and systems required to comply with MSC, RFVS and Marin Trust Certification and other schemes as relevant
- Assisting in the co-ordination of all stages of the certification process from tender through to certification of fisheries applicants.
- Assisting in the co-ordination of all stages of the surveillance and re-assessment process for fisheries participants.
- Working in conjunction with colleagues to maintain an internal audit programme, ensuring that audits area conducted according to schedule. Review audits and ensure that any corrective actions are closed out in a timely manner.
- Maintaining and monitor the complaints system to ensure complaints are promptly dealt with and changes made to company operating and quality procedures as required
- Maintaining and updating company IT systems such as AIMS and Smartsheet as needed
- Identify and suggest improvements to service delivery processes and procedures
- Support other team members and new staff to transfer knowledge of Fisheries products and processes
- Responsible for the accuracy and completeness of client data in Fisheries business systems
- Actively contribute to team meetings and client service initiatives
- Carry out any other task within the client service team, at the request of the line managers
- Split time across the three LR Fisheries schemes as assigned, with one scheme being of primary focus
- Contribute to MSC assessments as auditor for appropriate principle if necessary
- Act as the lead LR representative in the running and co-ordination of the MSC and Marin Trust Schemes, ensure the service delivery meets the scheme's certification and accreditation requirements and KPI's, act as the day to day contact point in meetings and communications with the Standard owner. Co-ordinate any required reporting on scheme activity required by the standard owner and Lloyd's Register.
You will need:
- Third level qualification in relevant subject, such as marine science, fisheries, environmental science (BSc/ MSc). Experience gained within the Marine / Fisheries industry, experience with client-facing projects and experience with standards or auditing.
- Internal auditor qualification, experience of working on large & complex projects, foreign language skills, knowledge gained from Marine/Fisheries industry including Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) Standards and International Fisheries issues. Experience with Responsible Fishing Vessel Standard and Marin Trust an advantage.
- Skills: Analytical approach to work and attention to detail, excellent communication and organisational skills, ability to work as part of a team, ability to work without supervision, ability to prioritise, plan and schedule work effectively, IT literate with experience of Microsoft Office, flexible approach to working hours.
Are you interested in this job?