BC issues shellfish poisoning warning
The BC Center for Disease Control (BCCDC) is warning people about possible contamination of seafood which was sold from a distributor in Port Hardy.
BCCDC said there is a risk of paralytic shellfish poisoning and botulism from the seafood products which were sold through a buy and sell ad on www.buyselltrade.ca, but they add the food may have been distributed through other mediums as well.
There is no identifying packaging or product codes on these items and there is no indication this food has been available through retail stores or restaurants.
The list of products sold are:
Frozen clams (butter clams and possibly others) in small and large Ziploc bags;
Jarred clams (butter clams and possibly others) in 500 milliliter and 1 liter jars;
Frozen BBQ salmon;
Canned salmon pieces in clam juice;
Other similar products may have also been distributed.
BCCDC say anyone who may have purchased these products should not consume them and discard them. Cooking will not destroy the toxins associated with paralytic shellfish poisoning or botulism.
The symptoms of paralytic shellfish poisoning include: tingling; numbness, spreading from lips and mouth to face, neck and extremities; dizziness; arm and leg weakness; paralysis; respiratory failure; and possibly death. Symptoms start quickly, within 30 minutes to three hours. The progression and intensity of the symptoms will vary.