SNP to honor seafood advocates at upcoming gala
The Seafood Nutrition Partnership will honor several individuals and organizations that have gone above and beyond to support its mission at the Seafood Nutrition Partnership Honors Gala on 16 September, ahead of SNP’s State of the Science Symposium on 17 September in Washington, D.C.
Sessions at the third annual State of the Science Symposium include: Dietary Guidelines 2020-2025, Seafood Consumption & Neurocognitive Development, Addressing the US Seafood Supply and Demand, and Building Lifelong Seafood Consumers.
“This year’s agenda highlights trending seafood nutrition topics with accomplished researchers and experts, and we’re looking forward to the opportunity to raise awareness and educate audiences within the seafood, nutrition, and health space and beyond,” said Dr. Tom Brenna, chair of SNP’s Scientific and Nutrition Advisory Council and professor at the Dell Medical School and the College of Natural Sciences at the University of Texas at Austin, in a press release.
Meanwhile, SNP recently announced its inaugural class of 2019 Seafood Nutrition Partnership Honorees, “a group of individuals who have gone above and beyond to support the SNP mission, inspiring a healthier America with exceptional outreach and impact in raising awareness about the essential nutritional benefits of eating seafood,” SNP said.
The honorees include:
- Laurel Bryant, chief of NOAA Fisheries’ External Affairs Division and a member of the SNP National Leadership Council. “Bryant has been instrumental in developing effective partnerships across the seafood sector to support the positive movement for sustainable seafood and seafood for human health,” SNP said.
- Annessa Chumbley, RDN, TV host of “ALL IN”, WISH-TV, and a spokesperson. Chumbley has supported SNP since 2014 in the Phase 1 Public Health Campaign in Indianapolis, Indiana, highlighting SNP on morning shows and with Little Seafoodies in Phase 2.
- Jack Kilgore, retired president of Rich Products - Consumer Brands Division. Kilgore led the Seafood Education Foundation discovery process at NFI starting in 2011, served as SNP Chairman from 2015-2017, and is currently treasurer at SNP.
- Judson Reis, president of Gorton’s Seafood and founding SNP chairman, continues to serve on the board. “Reis worked in partnership with the [resident to develop a game-changing vision for SNP,” SNP said.
- Detlef Schrempf, president of the Detlef Schrempf Foundation. “Schrempf believes in helping Americans be healthier, is a role-model for healthy eating and fitness, and utilized his celebrity platform to support SNP’s mission since the founding,” SNP said.
SNP will also be showing special appreciation and recognition for the Chairman’s Circle supporters of the Phase 1 Campaign for helping to move the needle on seafood consumption for better health. Supporters include: DSM, Trident Seafoods, Gorton’s, High Liner Foods, Mazzetta, National Fisheries Institute, American Seafoods Group, Bumble Bee, Rich Products, MOWI, Long John Silver’s, Glacier Fish Company, Fortune Fish & Gourmet, King & Prince Seafood, CenSea, Harbor Seafood, and Eastern Fish Company.