Report: Scottish salmon industry is vibrant

By

SeafoodSource staff

Published on
December 12, 2010

Findings from a survey of Scottish farmed salmon producers show the increasing importance of the industry to the economy, the Scottish Salmon Producers’ Organisation (SSPO) said on Friday.

According to the report, “Scottish Salmon Farming: Industry Research Report,” the industry created 234 new jobs, GBP 29.5 million in capital investment and a GBP 296 million expenditure on suppliers and services, as well as an extremely positive economic mood. The inaugural Salmon Business Confidence Survey was completed by companies representing 95 percent of salmon production in Scotland.

“The research results are a major boost for the sector and the remote, rural communities that depend on a successful, sustainable and profitable salmon industry,” said Scott Landsburgh, CEO of SSPO. “The sector is enjoying an upward trend.  The contribution to the economy is increasing in many ways. For example, over the last three years there has been a 55 percent leap in the direct value to communities through the rising contribution of salaries, which was bolstered by the creation of 234 new jobs in the last year.”

“The last year has continued to be very challenging for many sectors, but analysis of this industry research shows that Scottish salmon farmers have weathered the downturn better than most and, with their investment and strong demand in the UK and overseas, are leaders on the way back to growth,” said Dr. Lesley Sawers, CEO, Scottish Council for Development and Industry.

Other survey findings include:

• 90 percent of SSPO member companies were “very confident” or “confident” about future demand for health-enhancing salmon.  The remaining 10 percent are “content” 

• 70 percent of SSPO member companies want to grow sustainably over the next five years; 30 percent were content with the current production level

• 78 percent of SSPO member companies plan to increase staff over the next five years.

“The economic mood is extremely positive.  Clearly, the signs are that companies are ready to take investment decisions that will affect their longer term success in the Highlands and Islands,” said Landsburgh.

All Supply & Trade >

Want seafood news sent to your inbox?

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500