Seafood Champion finalists announced
SeaWeb’s Seafood Choices program on Monday unveiled the 15 finalists for its 2012 Seafood Champion Awards.
Since 2006, the awards have recognized individuals and companies for outstanding leadership in promoting environmentally responsible seafood. A panel of seven independent judges with expertise in seafood sustainability selected the finalists.
The winners will be announced on 6 September at the 10th International Seafood Summit at the Kowloon Shangri-La Hotel in Hong Kong. The event is organized by Seafood Choices with the goal of “fostering dialogue and partnerships that lead to a seafood marketplace that is environmentally, socially and economically sustainable.” This year’s theme is “Evolving Solutions for New Horizons.”
The 15 finalists for the 2012 Seafood Champion Awards are:
• Austral Fisheries, Osborne Park, Australia
• Bahamas Marine Exporters Association, Nassau, Bahamas
• Blue Ventures, Toliara, Madagascar
• Charles Redfern, Fish4Ever, Reading, United Kingdom
• Francois Pasteau, L'Epi Dupin, Paris, France
• Jimmy Martinez Ortiz, Sub Secretariat of Fisheries, Manabi Province, Ecuador
• Kristofor Lofgren, Bamboo Sushi, Portland, Oregon, United States
• Laky Zervudachi, Direct Seafoods, London, United Kingdom
• Loblaw Companies Ltd., Brampton, Ontario, Canada
• Richard Buchanan, AgriMarine, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
• Scottish Pelagic Sustainability Group, Shetland, Scotland
• Taylor Shellfish Farms, Shelton, Washington, United States
• Thomas Kraft, Norpac Fisheries Export, Seattle, Washington, United States
• Victor Hamusa Kargbo, Government of Sierra Leone, Freetown, Sierra Leone
• Yao Ming, WildAid Ambassador, Beijing, China
Editor’s note: Diversified Business Communications, publisher of SeafoodSource.com and organizer of the Asian Seafood Exposition, is the industry media sponsor of the 10th International Seafood Summit.