Secret Island to expand into wholesale, it says at Seafood Expo North America

Published on
March 14, 2022
Los Ángeles, Chile-based Salmones Austral is planning to present its recently launched Secret Island salmon and expanding wholesale business at the upcoming Seafood Expo North America.

Los Ángeles, Chile-based Salmones Austral is planning to present its recently launched Secret Island salmon and expanding wholesale business at the upcoming Seafood Expo North America.

The Secret Island specialty brand was launched in October 2021, targeting individual consumers on the U.S. East Coast with a direct-to-consumer home delivery service that included delivery of packages of six-ounce portions in regions within two-day ground shipping of its U.S. East Coast logistics centers, including most major cities in the Southeast, Mid-Atlantic, and Northeast regions. The company said it is now expanding into wholesale as needs expand for sustainable, eco-friendly options. During Seafood Expo North America, the Secret Island team is featuring its existing offerings and previewing a number of new products that are slated to launch later this year.

“With Salmones Austral’s 25 years of experience in sustainable aquaculture, providing Chilean salmon to hotels, restaurants, retailers and foodservice businesses all around the world, Secret Island offers a convenient and affordable way to enjoy the same superior seafood, which is sustainably sourced and flash-frozen at peak freshness," the company said. It will push the health benefits of its salmon, which when consumed provide key immunity boosters, omega-3 fatty acids, and high levels of vitamin D. The product is also gluten-free, GMO-free, and certified kosher.

At the same time, Secret Island has partnered with the Global Salmon Initiative and the Seafood Nutrition Partnership to host a virtual event that will review the health benefits and facts and fiction around sustainably farmed salmon. The 17 March event, timed to celebrate National Nutrition Month, will feature an expert panel, followed by a Saint Patrick’s Day-inspired cooking demo with Top Chef alumni and James Beard-nominated chefs, Jeff McInnis and Janine Booth.

The move is in line with the company’s strategy, announced during the October 2021 launch, to augment its consumer-education resources and innovate new recipes, techniques, and flavor profiles, together with its chef ambassador program, offering recipes by acclaimed chefs.

"Everyone should be able to enjoy healthy meals at home and we wanted to accomplish that without having to sacrifice on quality or convenience," Salmones Austral Head of U.S. Business Development Daniel Del Coro said. "We are dedicated to our mission of creating a world where sustainable seafood is accessible to all and are thrilled to deliver the highest-quality Chilean salmon straight from the ocean to your plate."

Secret Island is certified under Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP) standards and the company said it is committed to upholding the Global Salmon Initiative's (GSI) core principle of eco-friendly production.

Salmones Austral was created in 2013 following the merger of Trusal and Pacific Star. Today, it has annual production of some 45,000 to 55,000 metric tons (MT), exported to more than 20 countries, 63 percent of which corresponds to Atlantic salmon and the remaining 37 percent coho. The U.S. and Asia are the main markets for Atlantic salmon, while Japan is the primary destination for its coho.

The company has more than 1,400 workers operating in two processing plants and 20 freshwater and seawater farming centers in the regions of Maule, Biobío, La Araucanía, Los Lagos, and Aysén. It is vertically integrated from ocean to plate.

Photo courtesy of Secret Island

Want seafood news sent to your inbox?

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500