NZ shellfish poisoning cases rise to 9
Two more people are in the intensive care unit at Tauranga Hospital suffering from toxic shellfish poisoning.
A 42-year-old woman and a 60-year-old man both came into the hospital’s emergency department last night, says a hospital spokesperson.
Two other people have presented to Tauranga Hospital suffering from toxic shellfish poisoning.
This follows the seven people — five in Rotorua and two in Tauranga — hospitalized for poisoning at the weekend.
Bay of Plenty District Health Board communications manager Diana Marriott says one man who presented on Saturday remains in Tauranga Hospital.
Two other men remain in Rotorua Hospital in a stable condition.
The people suffered symptoms ranging from tingling of the mouth and face, weakness in their arms and diarrhea and vomiting.
The people who presented at the weekend had all eaten shellfish collected from the coastline between Mount Maunganui and Papamoa reports Toi Te Ora.
Toi Te Ora Medical Officer of Health, Dr Phil Shoemack says the levels of toxins have gone above the guideline levels to the stage where there is potential for harm.
“We advise people to abstain from collecting any.”