Early on in the Lenten season, Long John Silver’s, Captain D’s, and other restaurant chains unveiled their special seafood promotions. Now, many more eateries – ranging from fast food to upscale – are boasting fish and shellfish dishes for Lent. Here are some of the top new restaurant Lent specials:
1. Columbus, Ohio-based White Castle – known for its hamburgers – is serving up two Lent specials: Crispy Panko Breaded Fish Slider and Shrimp Nibblers, both available for a limited time only while supplies last.
This Fish Slider is made with wild Alaska pollock, coated with panko breading, and topped with America cheese. Shrimp Nibblers are shrimp tossed in a buttermilk-flavored batter.
White Castle already offers Fish Nibblers and clam strips (in select regions) on a daily basis.
"At White Castle, we love giving our customers what they crave, so we brought back Shrimp Nibblers and improved our Fish Slider with a new crispy panko breading,” White Castle Vice President Jamie Richardson said in a press release.
2. Coralville, Iowa-based Pancheros Mexican Grill reintroduced Mouth Waterin’ Shrimp for a limited time. The shrimp, marinated in a house blend of seven peppers and spices along with honey, is made to order in front of each customer.
The Mouth Waterin’ Shrimp “can transform any burrito, taco, bowl, salad or quesadilla with its craveable flavor,” the restaurant chain said in a press release.
“Year after year, our guests rave about our Mouth Waterin’ Shrimp, and we’re eager to bring the savory fan-favorite back,” Pancheros Vice President of Marketing and Franchise Development Ryan Murrin said in a press release. “Our guests love to see the shrimp pan-sizzled right in front of them, so they know they’re getting something fresh.”
3. Rubio’s Coastal Grill in Carlsbad, California, is rolling out a Norway Lobster Burrito and is bringing back its wild-caught Red Argentinian Shrimp. Both dishes are available 26 February through 26 May.
The burrito includes lobster caught off the Atlantic coast that is drizzled with garlic herb butter, guacamole, citrus rice flavored with lemongrass and lime
juice, black beans, romaine lettuce, creamy chipotle sauce, and salsa fresca.
Rubio’s is also bringing back its Wild-Caught Shrimp and Mexican Street Corn Bowl, which includes the red Argentinian shrimp on a bed of citrus rice and romaine lettuce, with black beans, fire roasted corn, cilantro lime mojo sauce, creamy chipotle sauce, cotija cheese, Haas avocado slices, cilantro, onion, and chili lime Tajin seasoning.
4. Tampa, Florida-based Bonefish Grill, owned by Bloomin’ Brands, is bringing back “Fry-Days”. Every Friday during Lent, the restaurant chain offers tempura-style crispy cod and jumbo shrimp with scratch-made hush puppies, French fries, and coleslaw.
5. Richardson, Texas-based Golden Chick is launching fried butterfly shrimp for the first time, along with Southern Fried Catfish and a Catfish and Shrimp Combo. The fried shrimp is available in multiple combinations, according to news reports, and can be added to any order for under USD 2 (EUR 1.82). The shrimp is available now through 10 May.
6. Lakeland, Florida-based Fish City Grill is adding a New England Style Lobster & Shrimp Roll, which features Old Bay tarragon mayo on a brioche roll, along with Seared Scallops & Applewood Bacon Wrapped Shrimp and Garlic Caper Grilled Salmon.
Photo courtesy of Pancheros Mexican Grill