GBP 15 million boost for Scottish whitefish sector

Published on
December 7, 2015

Significant increases in quota for the Scottish fleet in both haddock and cod have been agreed at negotiations between the EU and Norway.

Scotland’s Fisheries Secretary, Richard Lochhead, welcomed the increases of 15 percent for cod and 30 percent for haddock, with an additional top up of 17 percent for vessels affected by the discard ban – giving a total increase of over 47 percent.

The total package could offer potential opportunities worth over GBP 15 million (EUR 20.8 million; USD 22.7 million) for the Scottish fishing industry.

The quota for North Sea herring will increase by 16 percent, whiting and plaice are both a rollover, this is particularly good outcome for whiting given the initial advice was that this stock would be down by 15 percent.

“These significant increases for both haddock and cod, in line with scientific advice, are good news for the fishing industry,” said Lochhead.

“Following a year which saw landings up by nearly a fifth and revenues worth over GBP 500 million (EUR 694.6 million; USD 755.6 million), these increases in quota mean fishermen can further boost catch and profit and could be worth over GBP 15 million. This will also help the fleet manage the discard ban, which will stop dead haddock being thrown back into the sea, which will in turn improve the stocks of fish.”

Contributing Editor reporting from London, UK

Want seafood news sent to your inbox?

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500