Sixth Canadian shrimp fishery nets eco-label

By

SeafoodSource staff

Published on
October 24, 2011

The Fogo Island coldwater shrimp fishery has obtained Marine Stewardship Council sustainability certification, the London-based organization announced on Tuesday.

This is Atlantic Canada’s sixth shrimp fishery to earn the distinction. There are now 18 MSC-certified Canadian fisheries, representing about 38 percent of the country’s wild seafood landings.

This fishery operates off the coast of Newfoundland and Labrador; Fogo is the largest of the province’s offshore islands. The certification covers one target species and one capture method only — demersal otter trawl — in use by the vessels that supply the Fogo Island Cooperative Society Ltd.

The cooperative supports traditional fishing settlements and the island’s culture. It is owned by harvesters, plant employees and management support staff and purchases from approximately 127 vessels.

Last year, fishermen caught 49,417 metric tons of shrimp. The fishery’s main products are shell-off cooked and peeled shrimp, with 90 percent sold to markets in Europe and the remaining 10 percent sold to the United States.

“This is an important say and another historic landmark for the co-op,” said Phil Barnes of the cooperative. “This is our first MSC certification and a vital first step in our commitment to doing our part to ensure that this is a sustainable fishery for the generations coming behind us. We are committed, responsible and remain focused in becoming a supplier of choice to consumers everywhere around the world.”

Want seafood news sent to your inbox?

You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time. Diversified Communications | 121 Free Street, Portland, ME 04101 | +1 207-842-5500