President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort cited for seafood violation
Improper fish handling was among 13 food sanitation violations that state inspectors found at Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Florida, which is owned by United States President Donald Trump.
The Florida Division of Hotels and Restaurants said that three of the violations were deemed "high priority" following the agency’s visit on 26 January, meaning they could lead to illness-causing bacteria being served in meals, according to Reuters.
However, the agency also said that the infractions at Mar-a-Lago’s three kitchens were corrected immediately and were compliant before inspectors left. As a result, the agency will not increase the routine cycle of surprise inspections, Kathleen Keenan, a spokeswoman for the Division of Hotels and Restaurants, told Reuters.
Among the violations, according to The Miami Herald, were:
- Fish designed to be served raw or undercooked did not undergo proper parasite destruction. The fish needed to be cooked immediately or thrown out, the agency said.
- Raw meats that should be stored at 41 degrees Fahrenheit were stored at between 49 and 57 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coolers were not working properly, so they needed to be emptied and repaired.
This isn’t the first time the kitchens at Mar-a-Lago have failed a food inspection – one kitchen at the resort was also cited for four high-priority violations in December 2015. However, the infractions were corrected the same day.